Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Last Day

Arusha to Nairobi – The last day of the tour.

We departed Arusha early in the morning in order to reach Nairobi mid afternoon.  We crossed the Tanzania/Kenya border at around 9:00 a.m.  After entering Kenya we ran into several kilometers of road construction.  Progress was slow and some members were getting concerned that we might arrive in Nairobi too late for them to make their evening flight connections to home or other destinations.  The concern was unfounded, as after a couple of hours we hit good roads and made up for any lost time.

We arrived at the Boulevard Hotel in mid afternoon as planned where Tony and Jacqueline, myself and a few others were dropped off.  After saying our goodbyes, the balance of our members were ushered off to yet another campsite located on the outskirts of Nairobi.  I could have opted to stay at this camp as well but when booking my trip, I had decided that by the time I made Nairobi, I would be tired of camping and a hotel stay would be much appreciated.

I spent an additional two days in Nairobi before returning home via Cairo, Egypt - Frankfurt, Germany - Toronto – Regina and arriving back in Moose Jaw on November 8, 2010.  I had plenty of time to mull over my adventure and what I had seen and done over the past 40 days or so.  Wow, mind boggling!  This is an adventure that I will never forget.  At times it was tough going and tiring, but all-in-all, I would do it again, for in my mind, it was the only way to really experience Africa, the country, the land and its people.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment