Saturday, October 16, 2010

Livingstone - Day 2

Don’t know if I mentioned it or not, but I am having major computer problems. The rough roads we have travelled on and continue to travel on have been hard on my netbook. I don’t know how long it is going to last. Each day it gets more difficult to get it to boot up.

Anyway, today is a little more relaxing than yesterday. This is the second full day in Livingstone and the only thing I have planned is to take a helicopter ride over Victoria Falls.

Alex, a girl from Germany, is going to join me. She is quite excited about taking her first flight in a helicopter. As far as I know, we are the only ones in our group who are taking the flight.

We were picked up at 10:00 a.m. and taken to the heli pad where we boarded the chopper accompanied by one other couple. I took the front seat beside the pilot so had a good view and ideal for taking pictures.

Although the flight was only for 15 minutes, the coverage was good and gave me a bird's eye view of Devil's Pool.

After the flight we headed back to the camp to veg.

Today is the day that some of our members depart for home and some new members come on board. The people leaving left behind some items that they no longer had use for. They gave them to Melissa Gill, a girl from Moose Jaw, now living and working in Saskatoon.  I guessed she was close to the ages of my boys.  I asked her if she knew any of my boys but it turns out that they were a few years ahead of her in school.  However, she did work at Providence Place and remembered my dad being there. Small world, imagine meeting Melissa in Africa and being on the same tour. Anyway, back to my story. So they gave these things to Melissa to take to the market and trade them for local crafts and she asked if I would accompany her, to which I agreed. Well, it’s kind of funny because the vendors referred to me as papa. We just played along, better that they think we are father-daughter and not some other arrangement. She had a ball while I just sat and watched. After she traded all the items we walked a couple of blocks to a bakery/ice cream place for a pop and then headed back to camp for a 7:00 p.m. meeting to meet the new members.

So that’s my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment